PERIOD

THE MOST IMPORTANT EVENTS THAT SHAPED THE IDENTITY OF KIKINDA


1725.


The name GROSS KIKINDA marked on Mercy’s map as an uninhabited area.


1750.


From 1750 to 1753 Serbs started inhabiting the area of Kikinda in the
valley of the river Galacka, which was the branch of the river Moriš


1769.


Three villages merge to form a single settlement.

St. Nicolas’s Serbian Orthodox Church was built in the town center,
without a dome. It is the oldest remaining building in Kikinda
today. It still stands in the town square.


1774.


Maria Theresa of Austria, by a special charter, formed the PRIVILEGED
DISTRICT OF VELIKA KIKINDA, a special form of regional self-
government within the Habsburg Monarchy, which granted
the inhabitants considerable economic and political freedom and
privileges. It lasted for 100 years, from 1774 to 1876.


The first
half of
the 19
th
century





The first building for the demands of the municipality was built.
Kikinda became an administrative center in 1812.

The magistracy building, the so called “KURIJA”, was under
construction from 1836 to 1839. All important political events in the
town have taken place here. The building has become the most
distinctive landmark of the town.

The Gornjotorontalska cooperative for flood control was founded in
1845. It was the precursor and the start of today’s Danube-Tisa-
Danube hydro-engineering system.

Between 1836 and 1847, there were fifty-one distinctive
horse-mills in this Banat granary. In 1781, Kikinda had 17 horse-mills,
by 1800 it had 32. Horse-mills have become the hallmark of Kikinda.

The second
half of
the 19
th
century

Temporary registry office was founded (1852 was the year of land
ownership regulation).

After severe floods in 1857, the river Galacka was separated from
the river Moriš. It became a canal for accumulation of excessive
rainfall, which it still is. The town gradually lost its river.

Solutions to some municipal issues were found. Street lamps made
Kikinda an organized town. In 1867, Kikinda had over 100 street lamps.


Kikinda received technical improvements from Europe.
Horse-mills were replaced by steam mills, the fast, modern way of
wheat grinding. THE FIRST STEAM MILL, a branch of a joint stock
company from Vienna, was founded in 1862; one of the first steam mills, Dampfmühle, was built in 1869. A railway to Dampfmühle was built
in 1873.

The construction of the Szeged-Velika Kikinda-Timişoara railway
began in 1853.

Mihalj Bon’s brick factory, the precursor of ”Toza Marković” company,
which is now the best-known brick factory in Serbia and Southern
Europe, was founded in 1867.

The Roman Catholic Church in the town center was renovated in 1885.

It replaced the old one in 1781 and was consecrated in 1811.

In 1880, a synagogue was built; it was torn down after World War II.

A severe fire that struck Kikinda in 1888 destroyed 365 houses and
other valuable assets. 168 other buildings were burnt down, all of them
built from easily flammable materials – wattle-and-dub or rammed
earth homes, covered with reed.

The town government decreed that all buildings should be made of brick
and covered with tiles, primarily in order to be protected from a
potential fire, and to build in a modern fashion. The reason for the
decree was the care for comodity and durability of town buildings.


The end of the 19th century

From the 1st January 1893, KIKINDA became A TOWN WITH AN
INDEPENDENT SENATE AND MAGISTRACY
.

New, domed TOWN HALL substituted the old one (it was under
construction between 1891 and 1894). It has become the hallmark of
the town as an administrative center of the Northern Banat.
Attention was being paid to municipal issues: the town market was
arranged, lime trees planted along Main Street, afforestation of
Vašarište (area used as a live animal market) conducted in 1896. That
year, the first line of street lights was introduced, stretching from
the town square to the steam mill. Kikinda was becoming a real town.

New means of transport emerge: bicycle, which is still an important
means of transport, typical for plains, in 1894 and omnibus in 1896.

The majority of streets were named in 1898. Those names would
remain until after WW II.

A HORSE-MILL was built on the corner of Nemanjina Street and
Moravska Street in 1899. It is the only remaining horse-mill in
Vojvodina and Serbia today and an important hallmark of Kikinda.

The beggining of the 20th century


New public properties in Kikinda:

- THE FIRST ELECTRICAL SUBSTATION in 1910

- Town park ”BLANDAŠ”, a public garden

German occupation during WW II, from 1941 to October 1944,
left a deep mark.

The middle of the 20th century

The largest oil and gas site in Serbia was discovered in 1994. Large
area of the town lies upon these natural resources. The resources
contributed to better communal equipment of the town and the
arrangement of its public areas.

“Velika” was removed from the name of the town in 1947 and it’s
been called KIKINDA since.

The middle of the 20th century

In the sixties, new apartment blocks A, B, C and D were built along
with family homes for the workers of “Toza Marković“ factory.

In the sixties, collective construction of apartments began in
the area of today’s Mikronaselje, which had previously been uninhabited.

Organized provision of drinking water from artesian aquifiers
connected to the water supply network (1960).

Between 1960 and 1970, the paving of streets and sidewalks and the construction of the device for the purification of wastewater.

THE OLD POND – ŠTEVANČEVA POND  was turned into a bathing
place upon the extension of the former Galacka river (in 1962).

Spatial planning institute was founded in 1965. Since then, plans
have been made for improving the urban scheme formed in the 19
th
century. The town has been developing and guarding its identity.


The middle of the 20th century


In 1965, the KIKINDA CANAL, a part of the main canal network of
Danube – Tisa – Danube hydrosystem (Kikinda has no natural
water inflow today).


The end of the 20th century



The town gets a SPORTS HALL WITH INDOOR POOLS in 1978 and the
93 ha area around Števančeva Pond became the sports center
“Jezero“. Sports became an integral part of the inhabitants’ lives, and
students take swimming lessons there (although Kikinda is a town
without a river), and swimming and water polo have been trained in
Kikinda since.

In 1976, a drinking water source from a sub-artesian aquifier
160 to 240 m deep was formed in the area of “Šumice“. It’s still there
today.

KIKINDA became the center of the North Banat region in the
eighties, with its HOSPITAL, the A category “NARVIK“ HOTEL, the
housing and business “Galacka“ estate, with 40,000 phone
subscribers, developed industry and agriculture, new highschool and kindergarten buildings, caring about the preservation of architecture.

Town square, the area of aproximately 5.5 ha, was turned into a
pedestrian zone  in 1983 and it became a significant landmark of Kikinda.

Gasification was conducted in the period between 1984 and 1988, so
living conditions and town ecology were improved.

In 1995, new trees were planted in Svetosavska Street from
Partizanska Street to Mihajla Pupina Street, on the right of the road in
the direction of Zrenjanin.

21st century


THE BEGGINING OF A NEW CENTURY, WHICH WILL, HOPEFULLY,
CONTINUE
THE PLAN URBAN DEVELOPMENT OF THE TOWN AND
FURTHER IMPROVEMENTS OF ITS IDENTITY

Serbian Orthodox Church, 1769

Town square, end of 19th century

Kurija, 1835 – 1841


The majority of horse mills, 1847

Train station, 1857

First steam mill, Dampfmühle, 1869

First electric substation, 1910

Števančeva pond, 1962

The Narvik hotel, 1980

About Books About the author About the publisher Did you know? Gallery Little graphics Contacts Site Map
Biserka Ilijašev © 2010.  All rights reserved. Reproduction of photographs and drawings without the consent of the author is forbidden.
Main page     About the books     About the author     About the publisher     Did you know?     Gallery     Little graphics     Contact     Site map